About The Minors Division
Players in the Minors Division must be 7 or 8 years old on January 1st of the current season. The girls begin with parent-pitch. Hopefully, in the 2nd half of the season, a few girls will try their hand at pitching themselves. Score is kept to notch up the competitive level beyond T-Ball, but there are no playoffs in the Minors Division. There is a maximum 10 batter rule (per inning) to keep the games competitive. As with all Divisions, each player should play at least three innings in the field every game. In addition, each Division requires that the batting lineup is in running order whether the player has played defense that inning or not.
Minors Division Rules
• Ten (10) players are to be fielded
• Game may be played with a minimum of seven (7) players.
• Helmets must be worn by batter and base runners during games and practices
• ONLY USA SOFTBALL APPROVED NON-COMPOSITE BATS ARE ALLOWED AT ANYTIME AT NSPL.
o This includes games or practice.
o Only single walled, one-piece construction bats are allowed to be used.
o No composite bat of any type, no hybrid or half and half technology bat and no bat with fiber/composite reinforced core or handle is to be used.
o If a batter enters the batter’s box with a composite/illegal bat, the batter will be out.
o If a batter makes contact with a pitched ball using a composite/illegal bat, the batter is immediately called out and the runners are returned to their bases.
3. Field dimensions
• Base distance to be fifty (50) feet.
• Pitching distance to be thirty-two (32) feet (measured from the back point of the plate to the front of the pitching rubber)
• Ball is to be an 11” Incrediball supplied by the League.
4. Game Length
• Starting time is 6:00pm (weeknights)
• Game will last no more than 6 innings, 5 ½ if the home team is ahead
• A new inning cannot be started after 7:45pm (weeknights)
• A new inning cannot be started 1 hour and 45 minutes after start time (weekend)
• Time limit still in effect even if there is no game after
• Forfeit time is 6:15pm on weeknights or 15 minutes after the scheduled game time for weekend games. If both teams are not prepared to play – both forfeit
5. Ending an inning
• Inning ends after the 10th batter has her at bat or there are three (3) outs, whichever comes first
o Even in the 6th or final inning
o The offensive coach must inform the umpire if the 10th batter is at the plate.
• Each player must play a minimum of three (3) innings (or ½ the game if shortened game)
• Players may play one defensive position for no more than three (3) innings per game.
o 1 playing pitcher
o 1 catcher
o 4 infielders (first, second, third base, short stop)
o 3 outfields plus short fielder
• short fielder must play on the grass not in the infield
o Coach Pitching
• Only coaches may pitch until date decided by Division Head
• Coaches will pitch to their own batter
Minors Division Rules
• Coaches must pitch from inside the circle and be within eight (8) feet of the rubber. Do not get too close to the Hitter. Give the child time to swing.
• Offensive Coach who is pitching is the one and only umpire.
o Players at the pitcher position must remain even with the pitching rubber for safety and defensive reasons.
• Child Pitch – once date decided by Division Head
oWindmill pitching is allowed but not required
o Offensive coach will start behind the plate to call balls and strikes
o Once the count reaches 4 balls, the offensive coach will return to mound to pitch to their batter – with the pitcher player remaining in the circle even with the pitching rubber.
o Strike count remains the same when coach comes into pitch
• A foul ball hit by the batter that goes higher than the batter’s head and is caught by the catcher will be an out.
7. Base Running
• Leads are NOT permitted - Runners must stay in contact with the base until the ball is hit.
• Stealing is NOT permitted.
• Dropped 3rd strike is NOT in effect.
• Infield fly rule is NOT in effect.
• Sliding is NOT permitted
• If a pitcher drops the ball during the delivery, no bases are awarded to the runners. Play is dead- unless the ball crosses home plate
• Hit to the Outfield
o On a ball hit in the air onto the grass in the outfield, runners may advance as many bases as possible until the ball is returned to infield and additional play is not attempted.
• Some examples of a player NOT making an attempt include: holding the ball over their head; holding ball down by their side; holding ball in their glove. These are gestures which stop play.
• Infield is defined as inside the baselines – not just the dirt.
• Runners can be out by force/tag, at any base or within any base path. in accordance with USA Softball Rules
• Offensive Coach is the one and only umpire
• Each team member will bat in order, using all team members in the lineup.
• Strikes will be called and three (3) strikes is an out.
• No base on balls will be awarded.
• Pinch runner
o Catcher courtesy runner is permitted with two (2) outs.
o Pinch runner must be next available player who made the last out.
o No other pinch runners are allowed, except for injury
• Bunting is NOT allowed
• Each team member will bat in order, using all team members in the lineup
• Helmets must be worn by batter and base runners during games and practices.
• Throwing the bat is an automatic warning to both teams, regardless of offending player. Second offense is an automatic out to the offending team.
Minors Division Rules
9. Double Base
• Not used in Minors
10. Player arriving late/leaving early
• No penalty for players arriving late or leaving early
• Assume game is “on” unless cancelled by the League on the League website.
• Games will be made-up as soon as possible
12. Incomplete Games
• Official game is 4 innings, 3 1/2 if home team is ahead
• If less than 1 COMPLETE inning is played, a full makeup game will be played.
• All other games that exceed 1 inning, but are not official, will be picked up where they left off.
o Play picks up where it left off with same outs, players on base, and pitch count.
o If a player cannot make the rescheduled game, there place in the batting order is skipped during the continuation game
o A player who is added to the make-up game is just added to the bottom of the batting order.
• As there are no wins or loses, standings are not kept
• There are no playoffs
• Free substitution is permitted throughout the game.
• Only NSPL approved coaches/volunteers are allowed on the field, in the batting cages, or in the dugout – this includes any games or practices.
• Only registered players of NSPL are allowed to participate in the game, pre-game warm-ups or practices.
• No smoking or other use of tobacco is permitted on the playing field side of the paved driveway that provides access to Troop Field.
• No dog or pets of any kind are allowed on the field or in the areas surrounding the field – this includes any games or practices.
• Official USA SOFTBALL rules, adjusted herein, will apply.