The NSPL has a tradition of softball excellence. The NSPL plays an important role in promoting good character through healthy softball competition in the girls in our league. It is imperative that the NSPL Board along with the coaches, umpires, players, parents, and spectators embrace and exude the values of good sportsmanship. The
principle elements of sportsmanship are integrity, trustworthiness, responsibility, fairness, respect, and self-control.
The NSPL is a community league, and we must bear in mind that we are competing with our very own neighbors. Being involved with the NSPL is a privilege earned by abiding by the Code of Conduct of the league. Anyone who violates the Code of Conduct will be subject to sanctions that escalate according to the gravity of the violation. This
may include permanent or temporary removal of the parent and/or the child from the league without refund of the league fees. Repeatedly violating the Code of Conduct may leave the Board no alternative but to ban the violator for life to protect the integrity of the league and the safety of those involved with the league.
1. I accept the responsibility that I am a representative of the NSPL, and I will not do anything that tarnishes the excellent reputation of the league.
2. I will remember that players participate for enjoyment and that winning is only part of the fun.
3. I will help to create a physically and emotionally safe environment for practices and games. I will not encourage dangerous play that endangers the well-being of the girls.
4. I will remember that the game is for and about the girls, not for the adults.
5. I will teach the girls that doing their best and competing fairly is more important than winning so no player feels defeated by the outcome of a game.
6. I will encourage good sportsmanship. I will never ridicule or yell at players for making a mistake or not winning.
7. I will emphasize that skill development and practice is an important part of the game.
8. I will never condone or encourage behavior that is contrary to the rules. I will promote fair play at all times.
9. I will not use profane language or gestures, nor will I harass players, officials, spectators, or coaches.
10. I will display control, respect, and courtesy to all involved with the game including players, opponents, umpires, coaches, officials, administrators, parents and spectators.
11. I will respect the rights, dignity, and worth of all people involved in the game, regardless of their gender, ability, or cultural background.
12. I will be a positive model in behavior and personal appearance, and ensure my comments to both my team and the opponents are positive and supportive.
13. I will report unsportsmanlike or abusive behavior to a league official in order to bring it to an end.
14. I will make sure that the league is free of alcohol and drugs.
15. I understand that disputes are handled in a civil manner by the coaches and the umpires. I will respect their judgment.
16. I will display modesty in victory and graciousness in defeat.
17. I will be appreciative of all of the people who volunteer to make the NSPL the respected organization that it is.
1. I will exemplify honesty, integrity, fair play, and sportsmanship regardless of the impact that might have on the outcome of the game.
2. I will maintain a safe and fun environment for the team.
3. I will maintain a professional demeanor in my relationship with players, coaches, parents, and umpires.
4. I will handle disputes with umpires, coaches, parents, and players in a civil manner that brings respect for the reputation of NSPL.
5. I will place the well-being of the girls above all other considerations. I will never do anything that would result in injury to my players. For the time that the girls are under my supervision, they are all like my own daughter.
6. I will be punctual and arrive at least 30 minutes before games.
7. I will remain at the field until the last girl is picked up.
8. I will keep my USA Softball Coaching certification up-to-date and have my badge at all practices and games.
9. I will make sure that I have the appropriate equipment available to the girls so they can play the game safely.
10. I will make sure the competition is appropriate for the girls’ age and skill level.
11. I will follow the advice of the physician when determining whether a sick or injured player can return to the game.
12. I will inform the parents of any injury that occurs to a player while under my supervision.
1. I will be impartial, consistent, objective, and courteous when making rulings on the field.
2. I will maintain control of the game so that it is played fairly and with respect to all involved.
3. I will avoid any conflict of interest.
4. I will keep up to date on the rules of the ASA.
1. I will not force my daughter to participate. I will not pressure them in any way.
2. I will make sure my daughter gets to the games and practices at the time required.
3. I will make sure my daughter has all the proper equipment and uniforms necessary to play softball.
4. I will inform the coach of any health problems or injuries that might adversely affect my daughter’s performance.
5. I will encourage and cheer every girl on the team, not just mine.
6. I will get my daughter to the field for practice or games at the designated time. If my daughter will be late or absent, I will inform the coach as soon as possible.
7. If I have a concern that I must discuss with the coach, I will talk in a calm and respectful fashion away from the team.
8. If I have a complaint against any league official, I will contact a board member or other league official. The E-mail addresses are listed on the website, www.nsplsoftball.com.
9. I will not coach my child during games unless I am one of the official coaches of the team.
1. I will inform the coach of any health problem or injury that might adversely affect my performance.
2. I will come to games and practices at the designated time. If I will be late or absent from a game or practice, I will inform the coach as soon as possible.
3. I will be either in the dugout or on the field at all times. I will inform the coach if I am leaving the field.
4. If I have a concern that I must discuss with the coach, I will talk in a calm and respectful fashion away from the team.
5. I will put the good of the team ahead of myself.
6. I will thank the coaches and the officials at the end of each game.